Music to My Ears

As far as I'm concerned, I have over 20GB of MP3s stored in my laptop now. It's a huge number considering that I downloaded majority of em, and got the rest from other people. I've always been a big music fan ever since my primary school years, especially after I hit puberty. Well you know, how it was important to follow the trends then. Teenagers stuff. Still, music interested me. I could be listening as much as singing along to it. At that time, I merely listened to the radio to feed my enthusiasm and eagerness to be well-informed about the latest hits in the music world. I could still remember my Mom shouting over to me about letting the music got just too loud it could crack the whole neighbourhood. And oh, I remember being one of BSB's die-hard fans back then. Good old times. Silly, even. (I could still picture those posters I had put up on my teenage bedroom walls hee-hee)

As I entered the next phase of my life, I crazed about music even more. I watched MTV and Channel V a lot, giving much annoyance to my parents. I listened to a wider range of music genres. Not only boybands. But you can ask around and people will tell you that they were the 'in' thing at that time. Next, I started saving up pocket money to buy cassettes (CDs were expensive, no MP3s yet), of course without my parents' total approval. They said I listened to too much music it could affect my studies. Being as stubborn as I ever, I saved up money to buy a Walkman then, a Panasonic, so that I could get lost in my own world, my getaway, without anyone glaring offensively or disagreeably with my method of releasing tension or concentrating on things. Why couldn't they see at that time how much music had improved my moods and concentration? Parents.. at times they just couldn't see through their children's eyes. It was so frustrating. That was then, of course. Heeee..

Time passed by and all of a sudden the Walkmans days were over, came in the day of Discmans. I just couldn't bear being left out, of course. I bought myself a cheap Phillips discman after saving up money for it, adding the latest, modern touch to the word portability. However, at that time, I could only afford pirated CDs to listen to since I'd spent so much on the discman.. shhhhhh! Come to think of it, I think the discman is still working, I just dunno where I put it in the first place. Gah! So much for saving up money for a discman then! 

So, next, gone were the days of discman, entered the MP3s, MP3 players and iPods era. It seems like everyone owns one nowadays. You have better selections of the storage limit, colours, shapes, sizes, and styles, too. Since I was no longer an avid collector of cassettes or CDs, I'd downloaded majority of the songs I used to listen then and stuffed everything into my iPod. It's so much more convenient.. all you have to do is to go to the right sites to download them all and next transfer it into your portable, large storage players. Everything is at the very tip of your fingers. What are you waiting for??

Music has always been a huge part of my life, in the past, in the present, and surely in the future. It soothes my soul, serving as a backdrop against an array of experiences, good and bad, often heals, and sometimes brings up tears, either of happiness or sadness. Every piece of music tells a story, you'll know when you want to listen to what song. Even if the songs are in other languages which you might not understand, the melody can still make you shake your body in sync with every beat, every rhythm. 

It is liberating, and it puts my mind at ease. I could simply drift away just by the sound of it. When I need to shut myself against the world, it lets me dwarfing in its invisible bubble of protection, entering and slipping into a world of serenity. It is indeed one of the beautiful things that made life even more worth living. It has many layers, and its meaning depends on who and how they are interpreting it. You can either just like the beat or feel bonded within it, or both. You be the judge. But as for me, music has moved me in a way that I really couldn't explain and it still does today.That is why I will always have music in my life.

(and that is one of the many reasons why you will always see me clinging to my iPod or listening to music at full blast in my car or room hee-hee..)

Comments

Popular Posts