The longer I stand, the shorter I grow.. what am I?


Life's A Brief Candle
by William Shakespeare

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.
Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow,
a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more:
it is a tale
Told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I snapped dis pic not long ago so I thought of posting it together with this poem I teach to my Form 1 students. This poem is based on Shakespeare major hit, Macbeth, the part where he was desolated at the loss of his wife. to be frank, I dun quite like this poem. It roughly belabours the point of how one wants to end his life after the loss of someone he loved. What a pessimistic thought to be planted in the minds so young and vulnerable! (well, no objection to expressing your feelings over the loss of someone you love though)

Maybe I'd like it better if we make the candle as if it's our torch in life.. For it only appears for a brief moment, we have to make the most out of it and appreciate it while we still can! So let's light up our candles to light up the world, people!

"A good teacher is like a candle -
it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anon

Comments

Popular Posts