Against All Odds - Part II

I dunno why in the world would I come up with the second part of the entry. I just feel like doing so. So, to heck with it.

So, yeah, still talking about the challenges I'm facing in both teaching and disciplining the students.

To other teachers out there, I'd like to know how did you guys manage to control hyperactive students who endlessly create troubles and seek your attention? Surely we can't simply give the whole attention to him or her, right? As for me, most of the times I just ignore this type of behaviour but deep inside I cannot help the feeling of pity and sympathy towards them. Who knows, maybe they are not able to act that way at home i.e. lack of TLC from parents blah blah blah... At the same time I also want to give them a lesson for their disruptive behaviours. This makes me torn in between sometimes. I want to help, but what about the rest of the class? It's only unfair.. but come to think of it, life is never fair, is it not? *something to ponder*

A time-out would be a good solution, but of course for younger students it will be more effective. I'm saying this based on my experience teaching both average and weak classes. In average classes, I hardly need to deal with major disciplinary problems, so time-out is unnecessary. This works differently for the weak ones though - I need to send them out for time-out so that they could reflect back on their mistakes and at the same time to avoid further disruptions in the classroom. Of course, this could not go on forever - after all, they are in school to learn, right? I wouldn't deny their rights to do so, not unless they cause chaos in the classroom :)

One thing I hate about disciplining is the need to remind them of what needs to be done etc. etc. For God's sake, they're not small children! That's another matter - they don't want to be treated like children, but they act like one. You've explained to them step by step, you've even written the instructions on the board, yet they're still asking you, "what to do, teacher??". Tell me, then, how am I supposed to react? Smile and keep repeating until they finally get it? I may not have that kind of patience after all. Ha-ha. (my bad? trust me, if you're too lenient, it won't work either)

I'm also getting sick of telling the same person or the same group of people not to do this and that. At one point, I think I will even bore myself to death reminding or scolding them all the way like a mantra. This reminds me of a friend, who is also a teacher, who has gotten high blood pressure due to the stressful environment working with different types of students of different behaviours and backgrounds.. hope that won't happen to me, though, I'm stressed out enough with the constant tantrums.

We were told by the 'big people' (ehem) the other day that students get bored because the lesson is boring - so we need to come up with interesting methodologies to liven up the lesson. Tell me, even if we DID come up with those, would that retain the students' interests throughout the lesson? Maybe for some, yes. Based on my observation, I could see that students only enjoy themselves during the activities, but hardly when the 'real' lesson takes place. But if that what it takes, maybe I need to gear myself with some tantalizing magic tricks up my sleeves.. who knows it might work after all.. *yeah, yeah*

But, of course, not all students are like that, just some. *enough of the negative vibes* And that is what this entry is all about. :)

Comments

Missfasha said…
i would like to recommend to sing a long while teaching and studying.. plzz plzz..hehehhe.. or punish them by tongue twister..or rotan is the best way.. huhuhu.~!
Aida Ikmal said…
aiyyah fasha, cannot rotan nowadays

Popular Posts