Magic, Anyone?

Harry Potter frenzy is back now that the latest installment of the most-favoured magic tales of all time was released last week. Who would've wanted to miss the opportunity to see our favourite wizard and his friends set on another adventure? I know I wouldn't. I just wanna say that the movie is not really up to my expectation.

I've always loved the sixth book this movie is based on, and there are loadsa things that the director failed to include this time - especially the significance of Snape being the Half-Blood Prince. Imagine how disappointed I was to find no explanation was given about the so-called Prince but a line said by Snape: "And, yes, I AM the half-blood Prince." Wtf! Here, here. I watched this movie with a friend who has never read any Potter books and she will remain puzzled if I din tell her about how in the world Snape IS the half-blood Prince! I know in the book the timing is about the same, but I believe it's easily understood reading it instead of watching it. After all, this movie is named after him and his stories, right?? Btw, the book Harry uses in Potions that allows him to become the top student in the subject (he always fails in the subject) belongs to the half-blood Prince - only revealed at the end of the movie. He is, apart from what other people think of him, a half blood as his mother was a witch while his father was a Muggle (or human). His mother is Eileen Prince, making him a 'Prince' as there is no such thing as royal families in the wizarding world. My friend kept on complaining about his wickedness and violence throughout the latest movie (esp. the part that he KILLS Dumbledore with the Avrakedavra curse) and the previous ones, but I just smiled, knowing what's gonna happen in the next book/movie. Curious? Go read the book!!*lol*

One more thing, the romance thingy - it is so UNREAL! Puh-lease! Their hormones are raging, one starts falling in love with another. Public snogging. Mounting tensions. Jealousy. Hatred. Bitchiness. Even love potions! Come on, I believe they can act better than what we see on screen - though this is, after all, a teenage-based movie. I couldn't really 'feel' the emotions there - it is so different from the book. Harry and Ginny are supposed to be head over heels with one another, not that I could see much in the movie though.

Despite the darkness that's enveloping everyone and the magic world now that Voldermort has returned, there are, somehow, certain elements of humour this time 'round. Harry becomes some sort of hyperactive after he drank Felix Felicis, a potion which will bring luck to the drinker. He's assigned by Dumbledore to get the information from Prof. Slughorn, a new Potions master, about how, or the magic, that allows Voldermort to be immortal, even after all these years of fighting. Only after they get the information they can get down to ways to kill Voldermort once and for all. It's the Horcrux. Voldermort has been killing people in order to make himself immortal. He divides his soul into 7 parts and only when all the parts, or Horcruxes, are destroyed, he will be mortal and can die. Dumbledore's disappearance in the beginning of the movie reflects this - he was searching for the Horcruxes. I still couldn't accept the fact that he died in the end, I wept like the time when I was reading the book. It's really heartbreaking.

If you read the book, you will notice that Dumbledore and Harry are trying to learn as much as they could about their biggest nemesis in terms of his family, history, education, friends etc etc. as Tom Riddle before he becomes the Dark Lord. For the ancient professor, this step is vital in order to take him down. I sorta agree with him, though. After all, by knowing your enemy, you can figure out their weaknesses and strengths and take it from there. I'm sure the director wants to portray this and a lot more but somehow it leads to more confusion as there are a lot of scene jumpings here and there.

Do not get me wrong, overall the movie is not THAT bad. The CGIs are better and improved and it really got the adrenaline pumping in most of its action scenes. The visuals are awesome and splendid, and the soundtrack remains effective and brilliant. I just hope I would see them more in their black, flowing robes (the one thing that differentiates wizards and human, I presume) instead of jeans and tees. Most viewers seemed dissatisfied with the ending, but that's just the way it is - you just have to wait for the final movie! (I know it seems unfair to those who don't read the book but wth! *lol*)

The story is not that boring, I just find it not really appealing as the book is. Whatever it is, the Daniel Radcliffe's gang are just adorable - they're my eye candies in the movie. And guess what? I'm a Harry Potter material after all *lol*! (see below)

taken from Facebook

Comments

HaniRose said…
iye. Saya amat disappointed with ending - itw as supposed to be grander than that :(
Aida Ikmal said…
hani! *hugs*

yeah, somehow it's not a story on its own like the other potter movies - we just have to wait till the next movie comes out to know the ending.. pffttt *macam xtau je ending hahahaha*
sya_zachery said…
ending die ialahhhh... takmo la citer.. kui3.. apa pun i bukan team harry.. i draco wesley..wakakakak.. tapi buat kuiz kat facebook kejap jadi ron kejap jadi draco tuh.. mmg hebat la beta ni..kui3..

Popular Posts