Kakak or Makcik?

I was working on a paperwork involving my female colleagues' full names and IC numbers when I realised that some of them are wayyyyy older than they look (this is a compliment ye)! For instance, I address a colleague I've always worked with 'Kak R******r' while in fact, she is retiring next year! And that itself means she's older than my mom! LOL

I guess it's a trend everywhere to address your older Malay female colleagues as 'Kakak' as it sounds, ehem, more polite and professional (since you consider them as your equal when it comes to job scope), unless we're about the same age or prefer to be referred to by just their names lah. I mean, just imagine your younger colleagues calling you 'Makcik' when you're in your 40s or 50s, suka tak?? Nak nak if you're not married yet. It just doesn't sound right!

When do you decide it's right to call a lady 'kakak' or 'makcik'??

p/s: Out of courtesy and to avoid confusion, I just address some of them as 'Mister', 'Miss' or 'Madam' je at times. Takpun 'Cikgu' (insertnamehere) or 'you'. Heh.

Comments

Popular Posts