Moonstruck!

Last Wednesday, I got to witness the lunar eclipse which occurs as the sun, earth and moon come in a straight line in which the alignment blocks sunrays over the moon. It was awesome! To be frank, I totally forgot all about it till one of my friends told me to stay up to catch a glimpse of the rare astronomical event at around 3 that morning! Apparently it lasted for over 5 hours and was the longest total lunar eclipse over a decade! I wish I have a telescope to see it better but it still looked good even with the naked eye. Did you see it too?

It started at about 1.30 and came to a total eclipse at about 4 and at that time I was damn sleepy so I dozed off right after everything waned to a total darkness, so, yeah, I missed the part when the moon restored to its original shade. Here are the pics of the moon that I managed to capture with hubby's Samsung Galaxy S (couldn't do it with my DSLR - funny eh?):

15%
Just as the earth casts its shadow over the moon..

Apart from Central and South Asia, the lunar eclipse was also seen in east Africa, the Middle East and west Australia. According to NASA, another total lunar eclipse will take place on December 11, 2011. Wow, is 2011 a year of eclipses or what?? Don't miss this awesome and unforgettable sight!

p/s: For fellow Muslims, click here for Panduan Solat Sunat Gerhana.

Comments

Popular Posts